[b-hebrew] Is "write...on...heart" simply an idiom?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Tue May 10 18:16:18 EDT 2005

Dear Michael,

I suggest a couple of points:

1.  There is a critical difference between an *idiom* and a *figure of
speech*.  An idiom is a sequence of words that is semantically restricted so
that the sequence operates like a single term, like with the expression
"odds and ends."  I put odds and ends in the junk drawer in the kitchen.
What do I do with only one odd or one end?  We don't even know what the
question means.  In contrast, a figure of speech, is an untraditional use of
words used to draw the audience into a comparison or connection, like the
word *monster* in the sentence "The monster broke past the offensive line
and sacked the quarterback."  The distinction between idiom and figure of
speech is very important to translators, who need to translate an idiom as a
whole and translate a figure of speech as a figure of speech.  I mention
translation, not because you asked about translation per se, but because of
how we approach the two distinct phenomena.  We can't understand an idiom by
translating the parts because the meaning of the expression is not the sum
of its parts.  If, however, we can access the comparison in a figure of
speech and enjoy being startled by the untraditional use of words, we can
put together the meaning of the figure from its parts.

There is a complication (at least one!) that is germane to your query.  A
figure of speech, once it becomes hackneyed, may become an idiom.  An
example is the expression *bottleneck.*  It started as a figure of speech.
A place where a lot of traffic met reminded someone the funnel-shaped
opening of a bottle, so he used the figure as a simile or metaphor.  In
time, the term has become so overused, we may no longer think of the
comparison to a bottle's neck.  The term may have come into a meaning of its
own, something like "place where a lot of traffic jams up."  Maybe its an
idiom now.  Maybe the word's evolution into an idiom is why it seems okay to
say, "There was a huge bottleneck on the highway today."  If we were still
mindful of the figure of speech, we should say, when there is a huge traffic
jam, that there was a *tiny* bottleneck on the highway.  "Tiny" seems wrong
doesn't it?

2.  In trying to learn whether a phrase like `al leb is an idiom or a figure
of speech, it would be helpful to view a lot of its uses by your author, in
this case Jeremiah, and then in even a larger corpus.  With the Hebrew
expression `al leb in Jeremiah, I think you will find it is a common and
consistent expression rather than an untraditional use of words.  It means
"to think about carefully," I would say.  The key thing here is that the
expression is both common and consistent.  That's an idiom.  Since a figure
of speech may evolve into an idiom, there will most assuredly be a fuzzy
time when it is fully neither and partly both.

Hoping to help,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church