[b-hebrew] Boring grammar again

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Tue May 10 01:50:26 EDT 2005

The Piel certainly has a causative idea. I tell my students to think of the Piel as indicating a heightened action of some kind, whether that be intensive (eg, 'smash' rather than 'break') or causative (eg, 'grow' rather than just 'be big'). Of course, some actions have a naturally heightened concept, and therefore do not have any regular equivalent in the Qal stem (eg, DiBBeR - to speak, a heightened form of saying).

It's also helpful, as Peter Kirk has already alluded, to see the Piel and Hiphil as Hebrew parallels (not equivalents) to the addition of certain English suffixes. For example, compare the suffixes -ise (naturalise, realise -- for the Americans amongst us, that's -ize) and -ify (magnify, rectify).

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)