[b-hebrew] Eden's four rivers (article)

kwrandolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 9 16:34:42 EDT 2005

Walter:

Your admission of "_might_" below underscores the whole problem of
historical reconstruction-too much information has been lost so that
we really don't know.

Another explanation that I have heard is that when Noah and his sons
stepped off their ship, they faced a completely reworked landscape
where all the familiar landmarks were replaced. They named the first
two major rivers they came across by names they were familiar with in
pre-flood geology, but these were not the same rivers. Much the same
way that migrants named new locales after ones that they left, such
as Pittsburg California named after Pittsburg Pennsylvania, or Newark
California after Newark New Jersey, and so forth, so Noah and his
sons reused old names for new locales.

Secondly, wasn't Ur of the Chaldeas a different city than Ur of the
Sumerians? I thought that was a reference found among the Ebla
tablets. Correct me if I am mistaken, but my understanding is that Ur
of the Chaldeans was a city to the north east of Ebla whose ruins
have yet to be found, while Ur of the Sumerians was to the south east.

But without more solid data, all of this is speculation based on too
few facts either way.

Interesting article, by the way.

Karl W. Randolph.