[b-hebrew] A question of German...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon May 9 12:52:25 EDT 2005

On 08/05/2005 22:14, Jim West wrote:

> TROELS HANSEN wrote:
> Now, the author I have forgotten claims that Greek is
> "Habitus-Sprahe", whereas Hebrew is a "Relations-Pr�dikat-Sprache".
> Who is he?
>

>> Thank you for any help in this case!
>

> Hans, it sounds like something James Barr would say. ...

It sounds to me more like something an anti-Semite would say, in other
words a veiled way of saying that what Greeks say is meaningful, but
ancient Jews spoke gibberish. It seems also that the problem with the
passage quoted in Ezekiel is that whoever is claiming it is gibberish
has simply not done the exegetical work required to understand it, but
has relied on a misleading translation into old English which not
surprisingly sounds like gibberish to modern English readers who are not
native speakers - and especially if "justified" is expected to fit into
its theological sense as used in the New Testament.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/