[b-hebrew] Boring grammar again

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sat May 7 01:49:40 EDT 2005

Dear Karl,

You have already received several good answers from others, and I would
like to add a few thoughts. The Sumerian language is a so-called
split-ergative language, which means that in some cases the author
thinks along the lines of a grammatical analysis: subject, verbal,
object, indirect object etc, and in other cases he thinks along the
lines of a semantical analysis: agent and patient. This teaches us a
lesson, because we can (and should) approach languages such as classical
Hebrew both from the viewpoint of a grammatical and a semantical
analysis. The difference is seen in 1) and 2) below. In both examples
"God" is the agent and "the earth" is the patient. But in 1) "God" is
the subject and "the earth" is the object, whil in 2) "The earth" is the
subject. So the two ways of doing analysis approaches the text from
different angles.

1) God created the earth.

2) The earth was created by God.

The best discussion of Piel of which I know, is found in
Waltke/O'Connor. I teach my students that the Hebrew binyanim can be
subsumed under the heading "diathesis," because the differences are
basically differences between agent and patient. This is readily seen in
the active/passive opposition (Qal-Niphal/passive Qal (but remember that
Niphal once basically had a reflexive meaning, and still often has in
the Tanakh), Piel-Pual, and Hiphil/Huphal), but is also seen in Piel,
Hithpael, and Hiphil when these are analyzed in their own right. As
already mentioned by others, Hiphil stresses action while Piel stresses
state. This can also be expressed in the agent/patient relationship. In
Hiphil (basically, but not always) the agent causes the patient to do
something. One important side of Piel is that the agent leads the
patient through the end of an action and into a resulting state (with a
stress on the state). This is Piel's resultative force. In other cases
the agent leads the patient directly into a state. This is Piel's
factitive force. Another force of Piel is that the agent works om
multiple patiens. We should not forget that Piel also has a denominative
force: when nouns are made into verbs, Piel is often the binyan that is
used. Whether Piel has an intensive force, which was the basic
explanation some years ago, is an open question. And I agree with you,
Karl, it is difficult to postulate an intensive force of Piel verbs
without circular reasoning. Please note that Waltke/O'Connor gives
alternative explanations of the best examples used to prove the
intensive force of Piel.

When I read texts from one of the Semitic languages with my students I
consciously consider whether one of the explanations above can be
applied in cases of Piel (and D-stems in other languages), And it always
seems to work. In any case, several students have expressed that they
have found the agent-patient model (diathesis) as a fine help for
understanding and distinguishing between the binyanim.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo