[b-hebrew] YHWH Derivation - a dead end

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu May 5 11:53:03 EDT 2005

Dear Kelton,

I see the logic in your reasonings, but your conclusions are not the
only ones possible.  To know the name of someone did not only mean for
the Hebrews to know the letters of the name or how it was pronounced. It
is obvious that when God said to Moses: "I know you by name" (Ex 33:12),
it meant that he knew the personality and deeds of Moses; he knew Moses
intimately.  In Ex 34:5-7 YHWH proclaimed the name of YHWH, and that did
not mean that he pronounced the name, but rather that the attributes of
God was proclaimed.  In the song of Moses it is said: "for I shall
declare the name of YHWH," and  that  includes  God's dealings with
Israel and a description of his personality.

When Moses asks about the name of God in Ex 3:13, there is no problem
with the view that  YHWH first shows that he will be known as one who
both has a purpose and who fulfills that purpose (I will prove to be
what I will prove to be"), and "`I will prove to be` has sent me to
you." If we compare Ex 3:14 with the passages above, we see that this
verse alone would be a full answer to the question "What is his name?"
In addition, we find God's personal name in 3:15. Thus, both his purpose
and his personal name identify him.  On this basis I see no reason to
use )hye with present reference in 3:14 when it in most other cases has
future reference.

If Ex 3:13-15 is written to teach the readers that YHWH is a form of the
Hebrew verb HYH or the Aramaic verb HWH, there is a problem with the
grammatical persons.  If YHWH is a verb, it must be third person
singular, but should we not expect first person singular as in )ehye?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo