[b-hebrew] YHWH Derivation - a dead end ??

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 09:50:16 EDT 2005

  Is it really a dead end?..

  To many scholars, past and present, it is clear that YHWH is 3rd p m imperfect for the Aramaic root HWH , the equivalent to the the Heb HYH.

 This was clear  the later scribe in Ex 3:14 who  while he no longer understood the original meaning of the word -- part of a larger term  -- still connected it to the  Hebrew root.

  Uri

Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
The one answer that I don't think anyone has brought up is the Bible's own:
")ehyeh a$er )ehyeh" - "I am that I am" (Ex. 3:14) seems to understand the
name YHWH as derived from the root HYH. But in any case, this whole thread
seems to be leading to a dead end. Do we know the etymology of most other
ANE dieties? Hadad/Adad? Chemosh? Anat? Ashur (yes, that's also a toponym,
but which came first?)? Marduk? Qws? I could go on and on....

Yigal