[b-hebrew] XRM and 1 Sam 15:2

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Tue May 3 19:03:26 EDT 2005

On Tue  3 May 2005 , tladatsi at charter.net wrote:
> Ameleq will be subject XRM because of what Ameleq did to  Isreal during
> the exodus from Egypt.
>
> Lots of other tribes were also on-going military threats,  the
> Midianites, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, etc.  None  of them were
> subject to XRM.  The text of 1 Sam 15:2 is  straight forward about why
> XRM was imposed.

 Quite right, Jack. XeReM was imposed by the decree of YHWH in Exodus 17:16,
 reinforced in Deuteronomy 25:19. The executive order to PQD this upon Ameleq
 is in 1 Samuel 15:2.

 Ameleq was a threat to Israel over and above the lesser hostility of the
 other tribes you mention. The Amalekites were from Petra, descendants of
 Esau (Genesis 36:12, 16; Antiquities 3:2). They tried to rally their
 neighbours against Israel in the wilderness. They harried the stragglers of
 Israel, then made a full frontal attack at Rephidim. This was an attempt to
 destroy Israel, no less determined than Haman the *Agagite's* [Amalekite's]
 attempt in the Book of Esther.

 The Amalekites styled themselves Re'$iYT GoWYiM, the foremost of the nations
 (Numbers 24:20). Israel was God's chosen nation; not Esau. "Jacob have I
 loved, and Esau have I hated" (Malachi 1:2-3; Romans 9:13).

 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF                                       ZFC Lu
 <ben.crick at NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>