Role of Piel, Hiphil, etc. was Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 2 15:28:37 EDT 2005

Yigal:

Thanx for your comments. I think they help this discussion. I think they illustrate exactly what I meant.

But they also bring up other questions.   :-)

Vadim claimed that Piel is merely an intensive Qal. I’ve heard that claim before from others. If that is true, how do you tell from context when
to use Qal and when to use Piel? What context indicates intensity? If the context indicates it, why have the form? Is it possible that the Piel is
an alternate form of the Qal used for certain verbs, in the same manner as the “a” and “e” conjugations of Latin and Spanish verbs (I hope I
remembered these correctly)?

Your examples below, however, point to a different use of the Piel, namely that Piel has a causitive meaning. But if so, what is the difference
between Piel and Hiphil? Are they just two different conjugations? Or is the difference that they point to different actors and objects acted
upon?

If you say that Hiphil is reflexive, that’s hithpael territory. Grrrr!!!     ;-)

What goes for the Piel also goes for the Pual.

In short, my questions above show that after a few times reading Tanakh through cover to cover, I am dissatisfied with the grammatical
reasons I was told back in beginning Biblical Hebrew class.

Thanx again.

Karl W. Randolph.