[b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun May 1 20:25:40 EDT 2005

On 01/05/2005 17:51, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>I agree that piel is likely a late binyan. ...

You can assert this, but I don't think you agree with anyone else on
this or on any of the rest of your entirely speculative reconstruction
of ancient Semitic.

>I just don't know, but I assume there must be other alphabets in the world
>besides Semitic.

I don't think there are any which have arisen independently, not derived
at least partly from Semitic. At least, that seems to be the view of
some scholars.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/