[b-hebrew] Why would the scribal authorities find this objectionable?

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 15:07:33 EDT 2005

   We agree that no emendation is necessary here, contrary to Speiser, for example. And further, your comment on vs. 18 and 22  is well taken.
  But the text here, as elsewhere, lends itself to more than one interpretation. The scribe who wrote of Abraham as "still standing" must have had in mind a situation that involved standing, otherwise the "still" does not make sense, and v. 8 is  the closest.
  We simply cannot reconstruct the original texts from which the MT was put together. Notice the shift from the plural to the singular from v.9 to v.10 - wy)mrw  to wy)mr.

  Uri

"Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu> wrote:
All four "men" move somewhere else in v. 18, though, so the (WDNW in
v. 22 cannot simply mean that Abraham was still standing in the same
place under the tree where he had been standing in v. 8.

Chris H.

90263-4352
http://faculty.pepperdine.edu/cheard
http://www.iTanakh.org