[b-hebrew] John Gill's Dissertation

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Mar 25 18:51:49 EST 2005

Dear Chris:

John Gill did the same thing that the present documentary hypothesis advocates do: in the absence of physical evidence either pro or con, speculate based on preconcieved presuppositions.

John Gill lost me in his first chapter, where he tried to prove that the Aramaic square characters with the points were the original Hebrew alphabet, one that goes back to Adam. From archeology, we now can say that Torah most likely was written using proto-Sinaitic glyphs, the prophets using archaic Hebrew glyphs, with even variations among them, and the square characters being adopted only a little over 2000 years ago. Gill's argument is impressive, but speculation upon speculation.

It is stuff like this that makes me insist on physical evidence, the DSS is one example of such, as the minimum standard before I will accept any claim that contradicts the internal dates as recognized by attestation where applicable, and style or internal evidence (e.g. Kings, Chronicles).

Sure, I can speculate with the best, but who will such speculations convince?

Karl W. Randolph.