[b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5

Trevor Peterson abuian at access4less.net
Fri Mar 25 12:08:46 EST 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: kgraham0938 at comcast.net
To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:52:48 +0000

> Worknig on a paper here and I was wondering which way most
> people translate Ps 8:5.  I was thinking maybe the LXX is
> the correct translation because of the mem in front of
> Elohim.
>
> You have made him lower than (mem) something else.  If the
> Psalmist wanted to express God there.  He could have said
> you have made him lower than yourself.
>
> But I think the mem illustrates that God has made man
> lower than something other than himself, namely angels or
> some sort of heavenly being. --

I'm not sure I follow your argument here. Are you saying the
preposition min makes this less likely to be about God, or
is it the use of elohim rather than a second person pronoun?
I think there may be something to the suggestion, but it
seems a bit muddled as it's written.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics