[b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings

Tigran Aivazian tigran at bibles.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 16:39:25 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, wattswestmaas wrote:
> Please can someone elucidate what none of my grammar books seem eager to
> explain and that is WHY are they 'passed over'?

Ah, just re-read your email and I think I see what you are asking (and Isa
9:6 was irrelevant, which confused me). Ok, the answer is that the reason
depends on individual case, i.e. you have to consider all of them, one at
a time.

This work has been done already and the results are presented on pages
315-318 of Ginsburg's Introduction, i.e. for every case.

Generally it is a case of "dittography", i.e. the scribe writing the same
word twice or an extra word by mistake...

Shalom
Tigran