[b-hebrew] Qeri and ketiv readings

Tigran Aivazian tigran at bibles.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 16:31:42 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, wattswestmaas wrote:
> I have a question.  I am still trying to discover why some words are NOT
> pointed in hebrew and especially isaiah 9:6.   However Gesenius says at 17
> section 2:  words and consanants which are to be passed over in reading are
> called:- and you all know that latin and hebrew terminology;  Please can
> someone elucidate what none of my grammar books seem eager to explain and
> that is WHY are they 'passed over'?  it seems an obvious conclusion as to
> what they are and what they mean! So what is this phenomenon please?

what exactly is your question?

Your reference to Gesenius talks of "ketiv velo kere" but your example of
Isa 9:6 does not fall into this category. So, which massoretic category
are you inquiring about? If you clarify the question then it will be
easier/possible to answer.

If you are inquiring about the category of words which are single in the
text but double in the margin and vice verse then I can refer you to the
registers 482 and 483 of the Massorah on letter Kaph. And, in particular,
the doubts about Isa 9:6 will be clarified by reading the pages 163-164 of
Ginsburg's Introduction (and comparing elements of the Lists with
Septuagint readings). But I am not sure this answers your question because
you didn't state the question exactly.

Shalom
Tigran