VS: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritans

Thomas L. Thompson tlt at teol.ku.dk
Mon Mar 21 14:03:10 EST 2005

Dear Yigal,
I don't really have a "position" about a temple in Jerusalem, destroyed by the neo-Babylonians. I expect that it was built and destroyed. When it would have been built, I cannot say. I see Jerusalem becoming a significant regional power between the mid-8th and mid 7th centuries and so certainly think of this period, but I have no compelling reason. In Jerusalem, one would expect the temple deity would be Yahweh, but Ba'al and Asherah might also be included.

I fail to understand your rhetoric concerning "one of the inventions made up in Hellenistic times." It is not quite my own.

I will take a look at Kitchen's remarks, as it has been some time since I read his piece.

I am familiar with some of the literature on Beth Shemesh, but I am uncertain about what it supports.
Thomas