SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritans

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Mar 21 12:05:25 EST 2005

On 21/03/2005 16:23, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:

>As for the status of Gerizim, the excavations strengthen the idea that this may be very early indeed. How early is something we will have to wait for patiently as--insofar as I have understood--they have not gotten down to bedrock yet, but 6th century is early indeed--far earlier than Jerusalem's temple.

But they haven't got down to bedrock at Jerusalem's temple either.
Indeed there have been almost no excavations at all of the central part
of the site, which is likely to be the site of any early and relatively
small temple - for which of course there is strong evidence in the
tradition (i.e. the Bible, as well as Josephus, DSS etc). And if I
remember correctly there are references in the Elephantine letters to
the Jerusalem temple as well as the Samaritan one. They may have not
found anything earlier than Herod's time, but that may well be because
they haven't been able to look. So it is quite impossible to make any
meaningful comparison between the ages of the Jerusalem and Gerizim temples.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/