[b-hebrew] Talmud in English

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Mon Mar 21 10:46:49 EST 2005

At 13:26 21/03/2005, Søren Holst wrote:

>Aw, c'mon, give poor John (and the rest of us absolute beginners in
>matters talmudic) a chance: Recommend a sensible INTRODUCTION to Talmudic
>studies

As the " <g> " in my posting clearly didn't penetrate the language barrier,
could I suggest:

Adler, Morris. The World of the Talmud. 2nd. Edited by New York: Schocken,
1963.

Carmell, Aryeh. Aiding Talmud Study. 5th. Rev. Edn. Jerusalem: Feldheim, 1991.

Lampel, Zvi, trans. Maimonides' Introduction to the Talmud. New York:
Judaica Press, 1975.

Neusner, Jacob. Why No Gospels in Talmudic Judaism. Brown Judaic Studies
125. Atlanta: Scholar, 1988.

Strack, Hermann L. Introduction to the Talmud and Midrash. New York:
Atheneum, 1959.

Aminoah, Noah, and Yosef Nitzan. Torah the Oral Tradition: An Outline of
Rabbinic Literature Throughout the Ages. Jerusalem: World Zionist
Organization, n.d.

Neusner, Jacob. An Introduction to Rabbinic Literature. Anchor Bible
Reference Library. New York: Doubleday, 1994.

On a more technical level:
Halivni, David Weiss. Peshat and Derash: Plain and Applied Meaning in
Rabbinic Exegesis. Oxford: O.U.P, 1991.

But for the sheer joy of browsing and "dipping":
Montefiore, C./G, and Loewe, ed. A Rabbinic Anthology. New York: Schocken,
1974.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland ]

"Be certain your feet are planted in the
right place before you decide to stand firm!"