[b-hebrew] Samaritans

Thomas L. Thompson tlt at teol.ku.dk
Mon Mar 21 04:50:53 EST 2005

Dear Peter,
I do not presume to speak for Hjelm. My understanding is that she would not use the language of "separation already"; nor would she put a separation in some situation of 12th century Palestine. She rather uses historical arguments and rather understands, I believe, the regional state of Israel as the roots of Samaritan identity and a continuation of the people since the Assyrian period. On this, you might see her critique of Finkelstein and Silberman in her Jerusalem's Rise to Sovereignty.

I made a mistake in my citations the other day. Hjelm's article appears in the 2004 number óf Currents.
Thomas
Thomas L. Thompson
University of Copenhagen

	Peter Kirk wrote:
	So Hjelm supports my (provisional) position that there was a separation
	already in the 6th century BCE. But her claim of "always separate" is a
	dangerous one, especially if her excavations only go back to the 6th
	century. She rightly takes into consideration the Samaritans' own
	claims. These include a separation from the Judeans in about the 12th
	century BCE. Does Hjelm have any evidence that these two peoples were in
	fact separate even before this time?

	peter at qaya.org (personal)
	peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
	http://www.qaya.org/