SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun Mar 20 15:13:50 EST 2005

On 20/03/2005 13:22, Thomas L. Thompson wrote:

>From Ingrid Hjelm's larger article on recent Samaritan studies, I would like to cite her abstract from p. 9:
>"Apart from the later period of the Hasmonean kingdom, Samaritans and Jews were always separate peoples who had either Gerizim or Jerusalem [respectively] as their main cult place. ...

Thank you for the clarification. I certainly didn't want to make you
look like a fundamentalist!

So Hjelm supports my (provisional) position that there was a separation
already in the 6th century BCE. But her claim of "always separate" is a
dangerous one, especially if her excavations only go back to the 6th
century. She rightly takes into consideration the Samaritans' own
claims. These include a separation from the Judeans in about the 12th
century BCE. Does Hjelm have any evidence that these two peoples were in
fact separate even before this time?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/