SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

Thomas L. Thompson tlt at teol.ku.dk
Sun Mar 20 13:52:28 EST 2005

Dear Yitzhaq Sapir,
I think Ingrid would be very surprised with the suggestion that she accepts or follows Van Seters. For issues of composition--especially in regard to Pentateuch and Dtr history, I think her Jerusalem's Rise to Sovereignty, p. 30-92 contain some of the most important issues. I don't think she gives much credence to centuries old theories about JEDP or, indeed, Noth's so-called deuteronomistic history. Her own position can be found in Jerusalem's Rise, p. 169-222. ´Her 2000 book discusses the relationship of the "SAmaritan Pentateuch" with the Samaritans of the pre-Christian period. The issues are quite complicated and involve manuscripts and traditions that Wellhausen and Noth never considered.

I do not want to speak for my wife, as we do not share the same perspectives on the field (I am much more conservative and old fashioned and she has done a great deal more work on manuscript traditions than I have). Perhaps in a week or so, she can address the issues herself. At present, she is recovering from a serious illness and cannot answer you directly.
Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
Professor, University of Copenhagen