[b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Thu Mar 17 15:26:19 EST 2005

Hallo Members,

I seem to be a little (or a lot) confused by the myriad of scripts that I
have managed to download from Near Eastern languages and the things that
people are saying.

To the point - My question:  The samaritan script? It surely must have been
the assyrian script as well?  Sice the people that were moved to Northern
Israel at the time of its emptying of hebrews were from Assyria and Chaldea
right?  So they would have brought their writing with them? I have a
document before me that gives the impression that the samaritans adopted the
old aramaic/proto hebrew - which seems totally absurd!

Chris