[b-hebrew] Yahwism (was: their altar)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Mar 16 12:59:26 EST 2005

On 16/03/2005 17:45, George F Somsel wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:16:04 +0000 Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
>writes:

>>I didn't actually say this. For one thing I didn't mention
>>Deuteronomy.
>>And then I was only pointing out that certain evidence for later
>>authorship which someone had put forward was in fact very weak
>>evidence,
>>for later true authorship rather than redaction. I consider the
>>issue to
>>be open, not clearly proved either way.
>>

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>You didn't say it, but if you said it you meant " . . . "
>Am I reading you correctly?

No. I am stating that "X may have committed the crime, but the evidence
currently presented is weak, insufficient for a successful prosecution"
- in fact even insufficient for the lesser burden of proof which applies
in such cases.

>Ah, yes, the old "we just haven't found the evidence yet" argument.  What
>would you say if we were to dig up the entire country?  We didn't dig
>deep enough?  We're on the wrong side of the Jordon?

I am just holding to the principle of "innocent until proved guilty".
And a negative cannot be proved. So what is the positive proof?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/