[b-hebrew] DSS --> MT silent letters and vowel-points

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Mar 15 15:18:38 EST 2005

On 15/03/2005 19:36, Dave Washburn wrote:

>On Tuesday 15 March 2005 11:58, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>>What does silent aleph have to do with spelling? In the absence of vowel
>>points, aleph and waw were used to mark vowels. This constitutes no
>>"significant and consistent differences." ...

A word spelled with a silent alef is a different spelling from a word
spelled without it. My point is that simple. The significance of this is
debatable, and Dave has put forward certain possible interpretations.
But it is certainly a phenomenon which needs an explanation. And it
contradicts Karl's thesis that spelling was frozen at the time of the
exile, and so undermines his conclusion that Hebrew was not a living
language. In fact I continue to hold that it is a positive indication
that it was a living language, but I would agree that that is not a
certain conclusion.

>... but DSS Hebrew spelling at least seems only
>to have been "fluid" in a very narrow sense of the word.  I doubt whether the
>phenomenon in question really indicates anything of a linguistic nature at
>all, and have serious doubts whether it indicates anything of a truly textual
>nature, either.

Sorry, I don't understand your ""fluid" in a very narrow sense of the
word". But you slightly misquote. I did not state that DSS spelling was
fluid (although in some sense it is), but that Hebrew spelling was fluid
in that it changed from period to period, between the DSS which had one
convention and the consonantal MT which had another. I agree that it is
uncertain what this indicates, but it does go against the kind of frozen
situation associated with dead language texts copied only for liturgical
use.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/