[b-hebrew] Aramaic

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Sat Mar 12 18:50:56 EST 2005

There was no "Galilean Aramaic" during the time of Jesus who spoke Judean
Aramaic but, perhaps with a Galilean "twang" which included dropped glotta
stops, softer consonants and pharygeal fricatives.  This is a pronounciation
issue, however, and not a dialect.  Galilean Aramaic came about later during
the Mishnaic period and was probably influenced by Syriac.  There were about
7 different dialects of Aramaic in use in Palestine during the time of
Jesus, given its "crossroads" nature. Jewish Old Palestinian, Old East
Jordanian, Old Judean, (The dialect of the ossuarial inscriptions, Jesus,
Josephus, Wadi Suwenit, Masada ostraca and Qumran receipts.   ) as examples.
Middle Judean and Galilean were 2nd and 3rd century dialects.

Jack