[b-hebrew] Clay: Overspecification

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 14:13:21 EST 2005

Hi Clay,

I think you asked recently for examples of overspecification of a
participant.  I ran across a couple today:

Gen 29:10  ...laban 'axiy 'immo...  X 3!  I suppose this may be to underline
that Jaakob had indeed found family.  I think we should note as interesting
that Laban may not be considered a bonafide participant in the narrative
yet.

Gen 41:46   ...par`oh melek micrayim...  I would say that the "full"
reference to Pharoah here (in contrast to just par`oh) enobles Joseph's
promotion to prime minister.

Longacre has a chapter in his _Joseph_ on participant reference, and I am
sure he has a few comments on the significance of over-specification.  I
know he marshals the reference potentials of the language and the variety of
reference operations, such as character introduction, marking of a central
character, plain-jane tracking, character re-instatement, and confrontation
as found at climax/denouement.

Best, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church