[b-hebrew] Participant Reference Job 39:9-10

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 23:09:02 EST 2005

On 3/6/05 12:33 PM, "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest having a read of:
>
> de Regt, L.J. _Participants in Old Testament Texts and the Translator:
> Reference Devices and their Rhetorical Impact_. Studia Semitica Neerlandica
> 39. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1999. Particuarly have a look at section 3 "Special
> Patterns" of which 3.1 is entitled "Overspecification".

Thanks David,

I can get it through ILL. Will take a few weeks. Probably should read it.

Seems that overspecification is not such a rare thing in biblical Hebrew,
and particularly in poetry. But I cannot pull any examples from memory.
Repeating the full noun phrase can be used for rhetorical effect.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew