[b-hebrew] Participant Reference Job 39:9-10

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 12:27:06 EST 2005

In the MT of Job 39:9-10 we see a violation of the normal pattern of reduced
encoding for a participant that has been recently introduced with a *full
noun phrase. The repetition of rym in verse 10 is found in the Vulgate but
not in the LXX(OG).  Most English translations reduce the encoding to a
pronoun in verse 10 either for stylistic reasons or based on an emended text
which omits the second occurrence of rym.

Job 39:9 hy)bh ryM (bdK )M-ylyN (l-)bwsK
Job 39:10 htq$#r-ryM btlM (btw )M-y&#dd (mqyM )xryK

My question:

Can we find other occurrences of this pattern, where an active participant,
the current center of attention is referenced twice in close succession with
full noun phrase? In other words, does this text really need to be emended?

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

* "full noun phrase" is a term used in discussions of participant reference
which includes anarthrous nouns.