[b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Mar 4 12:12:37 EST 2005

On 04/03/2005 16:07, Dora Smith wrote:

>Just one thing it sounds like you may not be aware of;
>
>Asherah was Yahweh's wife.  She was also Ba'al's wife. ...

I don't know about Michael, but I am indeed aware that there has been
speculation along these lines, on the basis of a single (I think)
inscription from outside the land of Israel, somewhere in Sinai I think.

>...  It was a quite
>syncretistic religion. ...

What religion? Possibly the religion of some Edomites or whoever lived
in Sinai at the time. Perhaps even of some apostate Israelites. But not
the religion of the Israelites which is taught in the Hebrew Bible.

But I suppose this verse might be polemic against such blasphemous
attribution of a wife to the One Creator God.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/