[b-hebrew] re: their altars

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Mar 4 11:16:56 EST 2005

Dora Smith wrote:

> Just one thing it sounds like you may not be aware of;
>
> Asherah was Yahweh's wife.  She was also Ba'al's wife.

Hold up there Dora.  You make it sound like the "popular" religion of
the folk at Kuntillet Ajrud represented the same religious sensibilities
as those held by the priests and prophets in Jerusalem.  Just because
some "am ha-aretz" hold an odd and aberrant view of Yahweh does not mean
we are allowed to make such a stunning blanket statement as "Asherah was
Yahweh's wife".  That's rubbish.  At most what can be said is "some folk
in some parts of Palestine thought that Yahweh had a consort- but this
was clearly not the view of the establishment".

Jim

--
Jim West

Biblical Studies Resources -  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest