[b-hebrew] 'iysh and zakar

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:42:01 EST 2005

Not that I can see. Surveying the 80 uses of zakar "male" in the
Tanakh, it seems to me that "zakar" is used to denote biological
maleness, as contrasted with biological femaleness. I can't see any
indication of any age-specific usage. In fact, quite the opposite. In
the circumcision passage in Genesis 17, zakar clearly includes all
males in Abraham's household, of any age, including the 99-year-old
Abraham himself.

I realize that it is fashionable to interpret Paul's New Testament
condemnations of male homosexuality as references to pederasty, but the
semantics of biblical Hebrew zakar do not seem to me open to such an
interpretation for Leviticus 18:22 (Heb).