[b-hebrew] Elohiym - On the Other Hand

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Thu Jun 30 02:13:56 EDT 2005

On the other hand, it is interesting that Yahweh always
says ?I? not ?We?.  In Lev 18 ? 20 the phrase *eniy Yahweh*
(I Yahweh) occurs 20 times.   In Isaiah Yahweh repeatedly
speaks in the first person singular (Is 44 for example).

Likewise Yahweh is addressed in the second person masculine
singular.  For example in Isaiah 63:16 Yahweh is addressed
as *atah Yahwah* (You Yahweh) or *atah abiynu * (You Our
Father).  In Isaiah 63:15 *your glory* is second person
masculine singular.   Likewise in Judges 5 ? the Song of
Deborah ? Yahweh is addressed as * Elohay Yisheralel* (God
[singular] of Isreal.  Elsewhere He called * El Elohim*
(God [singular] of gods), Elohey Aberaham (God [singular]
of Abraham, El Shadey  is singular, El Elyon is singular.
You get the idea, singular, even when Elohim is used, is
the case for the vast majority of uses.

Only in Genesis 1 does God speak in the third person
plural.  Even though God is called Elohim, the verbs are
all third person singular ? He created, He said ? not they
created or they said.  Interestingly, in Gen 1:26 ? Elohim
creates man (third person singular verb and singular object
- haadam) but then says *let us make man in our image and
our  likeness and let THEM rule over the fish of the sea??
So Elohim is describing man (singular) in the plural (THEM)
as well as Himself.

So the *Majestic Plural* may not make sense.  That may have
been more confusing than helpful.  Oh well.

> From: "John Gray" <jgray at lfmp.com.au>
> Date: 2005/06/27 Mon AM 02:51:28 EDT
> To: <tladatsi at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: Elohiym
>
> Thank you very much for you response JOhn Gray

the *
> > majestic plural* of eloah - God.  It has been suggested
in
> > some quarters that this some sort of remnant of ancient
> > polytheism but that is merely speculation.
> >
> > Despite it's plural form, elohyim is generally used as
if
> > it were singular and sometimes it does not refer to
Yahweh,
> > the God of Israel.  For example, when Saul uses a
medium to
> > contact the spirit of the dead Samuel, the medium says
she
> > sees *elohyim* rising up from the earth (1 Sam 28:13)
even
> > though is obviously singular.
> >
> > Ashtoreth is twice referred to as *elohyim* even though
she
> > is also obviously singular (and feminine).  Likewise
both
*
> > elohiym*.
> >
> > There are other times when Elohiym is used as a plural.
In
> > Psalm 8:5 it refers to angels (or divine beings
subordinate
> > to Yahweh) where it is clearly plural.  Elohyim is also
> > used frequently as a plural for unnamed gods other than
> > Yahweh.   Also the idols (teraphiym) that Rachel stole
from
> > her father in Genesis 31 are also called elohiym (Gen
> > 31:32).
> >

> > Jack Tladatsi

Jack Tladatsi