[b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 16:18:37 EDT 2005

Hi Luke, you wrote:

>The Hebrew sentence in question, without the vowels, is as follows: -
>brzl bbrzl yhd w'yš yhd pny r'hw

>The dispute is over the vowel points in Hebrew word that's translated
>traditionally as 'sharpens', or possibly as 'united'. Without the
>vowel points the Hebrew word is '  yhd  ', I think (sorry if that's
>not how the MCW puts it).

Actually, I don't see what vowels have to do with it.  Even with the vowels
as in the BHS, the word is ambiguous, meaning "together" or "it (he)
sharpens."

>So (if you could actaully follow that!), is it possible that Prov.
>27:17 could be read as "Iron in iron is united and a man is united to
>faces of his friend"?

I think it's possible.  We might think of this as a paraphrase:  "iron with
iron is welded; [likewise,] a man is inseperable from his friend."

Shalom, Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.