[b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 29 16:00:02 EDT 2005

Luke:

Since  ancient times it has been known that after sharpening a steel blade with a stone or pottery, that a final few swipes with a rod of steel would make it sharper. Further, regularly using said steel rod would help keep a blade sharp. (The “iron age” was born when the art of steel making was discovered, as iron was inferior to bronze, especially for weaponry.)

Looking at Proverbs 27:17, the B- prefix is often used to signify instrumentality. While YXD could come from either YXD to be together with, or XDD to sharpen (usually by grinding), what does it mean that steel is together in steel? That does not say anything. However, it does have meaning when read as “Steel is sharpened by steel, and (so) a man sharpens the face of his neighbor.” where human interaction is shown as a way for a person to become improved.

Interaction here has helped me both in communicating and in understanding Biblical Hebrew.

The choice of YXD or XDD comes down to which reading makes a message, and YXD doesn’t.

Karl W. Randolph.