[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 26 20:17:17 EDT 2005

> > From: George F Somsel
> > TEXT:
> >
> > W:)fMaR Lo) NfBiY) )fNoKiY )iY$_(oB"D )a:DfMfH )fNoKiY K.iY )fDfM
> > HiQ:N"NiY
> > MiN.:(W.RfY
> >
> > HALOT notes that the text is uncertain here and gives a conjectural
> > reading
> > of )fDfM HiQ:NaNiY, but I don't think that solves your problem.  I
> > think
> > your problem is more in trying to import concepts from English into
> > Hebrew.
> > Perhaps changing the English equivalent slightly will clarify the
> > matter.
> > QNH does not simply mean "buy" but "acquire" and thus the hiphil
> > would be
> > "cause to acquire."  BDB gives "caused (one) to purchase me ."
> > -------------

>>From: Steve Miller
> > Thanks George. QNH does mean aquire, but aquire by paying some
> > price. If
> > someone gave you a gift, or you inherited it, then you did not QNH
> > it.
> > The BDB translation makes "me" the object of the purchasing, but
> > "me" should
> > be the one who did the purchasing.
> > -Steve Miller
> > Detroit

> From: George F Somsel
> Is it a presupposition of yours that "me" should be the subject?  It
> would seem that the -NiY would be the object, not the subject.
>
> george
> gfsomsel

George,
I know that "me" is the object of the hiphil verb "cause to aquire". As the
object of  "cause to aquire", "me" is the one who was caused to do the
aquiring, hence "me" is the subject of "aquire".  It is very easy for me to
give many examples where the object of the hiphil verb is the subject of the
base qal verb.
thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit