[b-hebrew] shewa in imperative

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jun 24 04:22:05 EDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:22:32 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny at mail.ru>
writes:
> This becomes ridiculous. Of course, accent and vowel length are
> affected by
> usage, and differ between neutral, question, and exclamation.
> Imperatives are still pronounced with strong intonation in Arabic,
> and
> likely were pronounced the same way in BH--if anything, intonation
> was still
> stronger because of the prevailing gutturals.
> It is also self-evident that the extremely strong pronounciation of
> imperatives, in military commands, reduces the first vowel. The same
> thing
> is likely for BH imperatives.
>
> Vadim Cherny
>

> > Mr. Cherny obviously is lacking in his understanding of English.
> There
> > are two distinct pronunciations of "harass" which are not
> determined by
> > the context in which they are found or the use to which they are
> put.
> >
> > Ha ' - es  or
> > Ha  - ras '
> >
> > The pronunciation used is determined by the preference of the one
> using
> > the term and not by its usage.
> >
> > george
> > gfsomsel
 ___________

You reference English then switch to Hebrew and Arabic.  What occurs in
English is irrelevant to a semitic language such as Hebrew.  Perhaps you
are more conversant with English than I (though I have serious doubts
regarding that), but I tell you that the pronunciation of "harass" is not
determined by its usage.  You say, "Of course, accent and vowel length
are determined by usage" as though this was obvious.  I tell you that it
is not obvious in English but depends upon the preference of the user.
Perhaps it would be best if you were to confine your remarks to Hebrew or
semitic languages in general and leave English out of the equation.

george
gfsomsel