[b-hebrew] Japheth's identity (Ge 9:27)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 22 13:44:48 EDT 2005

Walter:

Your article is one speculation, assuming ... assuming ... assuming .....

But the name YPT does have a possible Semitic etymology, as a construct from the root YPH with the idea of beauty. The claim that it does not have a Semitic etymology therefore cannot be asserted. (Actually, there are other concepts in ancient Greek culture that had Semitic roots, many connected with the cult of Dionesios / Tammuz which went back to Linnear B times. We cannot rule out that Iapetos was likewise an early Semitic adoption into Greek culture.)

Karl W. Randolph.