[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 22 11:58:03 EDT 2005

Steve:

Looking at the context might help. Previous to the phrase in question, the person in question claims that he is a slave of the soil, grammatically a possessive where the soil owns the person. Often a feminine noun denotes a generalized subject, while a masculine of the same refers to a specific subject, so in context this could be translated as “this soil” refeerring to a particular plot of land. Is this the only example in Tanakh for )DMH / )DM אדמה / אדם ?

The verb QNH means to acquire and hold possession of (something) where the acquiring part of the action can be by purchase or manufacture. There is no equivelant in English, making any translation of this verb defective.

Putting the two together, we get “I am a man who is a slave of the soil, this soil has possessed me since I was young.”

Karl W. Randolph.