FW: [b-hebrew] Re:plurality & divinity

Stoney Breyer stoneyb at touchwood.net
Wed Jun 22 11:20:30 EDT 2005

Actually, 'you' was originally (eow) the objective plural case of the
pronoun which in the nominative plural was 'ye' (ge).

I don't remember enough OE/ME to say what was used honorifically before
the 16th Century, but by Elizabethan times, 'ye', too, was the familiar
or contemptuous form; a superior would have been addressed as 'you'
(which was, however, already, crowding out the other forms).

Stoney Breyer
Writer/Touchwood