[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 00:15:17 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/21/2005 10:28:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
smille10 at sbcglobal.net writes:

Zech  13:5 but he will say, ‘I am not a prophet; I am a tiller of the ground,
for  a man sold me as a slave in my youth.’  (NASB)

NJPS translates:  "and he will declare, 'I am not a "prophet"; I am a  tiller
of the soil; you see, I was plied with the red stuff from my youth on.'  "
In the footnotes, it clarifies that by saying "tiller of the soil", the
self-denying prophet refers to Noah, who became drunk (Gen 9:20-12).  NJPS
understands 'adam as 'adom, red, and so the phrase is "caused me to acquire red
[wine]", meaning that he was a drunkard.  In other words, although he  appeared
to prophesy, it was just the ranting of drunkeness.  In the next  verse he
explains that the welts on his back were not received from flagellation  in order
to stimulate ecstatic prophesy but rather beatings he received when he  was
drunk and rowdy at parties.