[b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Jun 21 23:24:59 EDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:35:47 -0400 "Steve Miller"
<smille10 at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> Zech 13:5 but he will say, ‘I am not a prophet; I am a tiller of
> the ground,
> for a man sold me as a slave in my youth.’  (NASB)
>
> The phrase "a man sold me as a slave" is ?????
> ?????????.
> The verb is causitive, literally "caused me to buy", which I don't
> think is
> reflected in "sold me as a slave".  To sell someone as a slave is
> not to
> cause them to buy.
> The only translation that retains the causitive meaning is KJV,
> which says,
> "man taught me to keep cattle", but I don't think that is a
> causitive
> meaning of "buy", although it is causitive.
>
> Does "man" have to be the subject? Can it be the object? Could it be
> translated:
> for mankind He has made Me to purchase from My youth.
> or
> for mankind, they have caused Me to purchase from My youth.
> (treating the
> 3rd masculine singular as the indefinate pronoun as in 13:9.)
> or
> for mankind I have been made to purchase from My youth. (replacing
> indefinate pronoun with passive)
>
> thanks,
> -Steve Miller
> Detroit

TEXT:

W:)fMaR Lo) NfBiY) )fNoKiY )iY$_(oB"D )a:DfMfH )fNoKiY K.iY )fDfM
HiQ:N"NiY MiN.:(W.RfY

HALOT notes that the text is uncertain here and gives a conjectural
reading of )fDfM HiQ:NaNiY, but I don't think that solves your problem.
I think your problem is more in trying to import concepts from English
into Hebrew.  Perhaps changing the English equivalent slightly will
clarify the matter.  QNH does not simply mean "buy" but "acquire" and
thus the hiphil would be "cause to acquire."  BDB gives "caused (one) to
purchase me ."

george
gfsomsel