[b-hebrew] impure food

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:04:48 EDT 2005

I think I understand the verses now. Thanks to
everyone who replied. 11:34 is not connected to
11:33, but is to 29-30. If food comes into contact
with the carcass of any of the animals listed, and
it is wet, it is impure, but if dry it is OK. As
to the water, if the water comes in contact with
the carcass, and it is in a vessel, it is impure,
but if in the seas or streams, then the water is
pure.

I kept trying to connect vs. 34 to vs. 33, and it
was making no sense.
Thanks everyone.
Best,
Liz

> AFAIK the rabbis disagree with Milgrom and
maintain
> that glazed pottery has
> the same law as unglazed pottery.  (At least
this is
> true in regard to laws
> of kashrut.)
> I'm not sure what you are saying about the food
that is
> wet.  Being  wet
> doesn't make it impure.  But if the rules are
like those
> of kashrut, in  some
> circumstances being wet can make food more
likely to