[b-hebrew] Zechariah 12:1-2

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jun 13 17:29:22 EDT 2005

On 13/06/2005 22:06, Steve Miller wrote:

>Zechariah chapters 12-14 are "the burden of the word of Jehovah concerning
>Israel" (12:1).   Putting 12:1-2 together could it also be rendered  "the
>burden of the word of Jehovah concerning Israel ... and also concerning
>Judah"?

>If  the 2nd עַל־ is translated "concerning" like the 1st, then it is the
>burden of the word of Jehovah which is on Judah, rather than the siege.

The subject of the second part of verse 2 is an interesting question. It
is not "they" as KJV, for it is singular. It is not YHWH for he is in
the first person. I think it must be the "cup of bewilderment". But it
cannot possibly be the burden, as this is far too remote. I think this
must be interpreted in the sense that whatever is against Jerusalem is
also against Judah, so meaning something like "this cup will also be
against Judah, a siege against Jerusalem".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/