[b-hebrew] Zechariah 12:1-2

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 17:06:10 EDT 2005

Zechariah chapters 12-14 are "the burden of the word of Jehovah concerning
Israel" (12:1).   Putting 12:1-2 together could it also be rendered  "the
burden of the word of Jehovah concerning Israel ... and also concerning
Judah"?

Zechariah 12:1-2 (Darby) The burden of the word of Jehovah concerning
Israel. Thus saith Jehovah, who stretcheth out the heavens, and layeth the
foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him:
2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of bewilderment unto all the peoples
round about, and also against Judah shall it be in the siege against
Jerusalem.

Unlike most other translations, Darby translated verse 2 literally.  KJV and
most others translate the 2nd 1/2 of verse 2:
"when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem."

The Hebrew preposition  עַל־ is used 3 times:  *concerning* Israel in v1, &
*against* Judah  & *against* Jerusalem in v2.

If  the 2nd עַל־ is translated "concerning" like the 1st, then it is the
burden of the word of Jehovah which is on Judah, rather than the siege.

This goes along with the end of chapter Zechariah 11:
Zech 11:14  And I cut asunder mine other staff, Bands, to break the
brotherhood between Judah and Israel.

Is this understanding feasible?

thanks,
-Steve Miller