[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory - Weighty Organ

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Fri Jun 10 00:11:55 EDT 2005

Peter,

Thank you for the clarification on the distinction on the
absolute vs. construct states and shift of qamets to shewa.
It is quite helpful.

On a side issue, all of the internal organs are hollow, the
heart, lungs, stomach, intestines, bladders, and throat,
they are filled with air or fluids which can be drained
out.  This means that they have a very low density, i.e.
they are rather *light*.  The liver is however completely
solid and quite dense (the pancreas is also solid too but
it was historically thought to be part of liver).  So on a
equal volume basis, the liver is much weigthtier than any
other organ.

> From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
> Date: 2005/06/09 Thu AM 06:58:48 EDT
> To: tladatsi at charter.net
> CC: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: Liver & Glory - Qamets & Shewa
>
> On 09/06/2005 05:30, tladatsi at charter.net wrote:
>
> >Thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion.
> >
> >OK, I got the *defective* holem vav part.  What about
the
> >qamats though.  Liver is spelled with a qamets under the
> >kaf and glory has a shewa under the kaf.  In each of the
> >four cases where the defective holem vav occured in *
glory*
> >, the shewa replaced the qamets, which was part of my
> >confusion on issue.
> >

> No, this is not correct. Both words have qamats in the
absolute state,
> and sheva in the construct state or with a personal
suffix. This is the
> regular pattern of alternation for bisyllabic nouns with
qamats in the
> first syllable. In fact I don't think the construct of
"liver" is found
> in the Hebrew Bible, but the word is found with a
personal suffix in
> Proverbs 7:23, Lamentations 2:11. "Glory" occurs with
qamats and
> defective holam in Genesis 31:1 and Nahum 2:10. Data
courtesy of BDB,