[b-hebrew] Re: Liver & Glory - Qamets & Shewa

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jun 9 06:58:48 EDT 2005

On 09/06/2005 05:30, tladatsi at charter.net wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion.
>
>OK, I got the *defective* holem vav part.  What about the
>qamats though.  Liver is spelled with a qamets under the
>kaf and glory has a shewa under the kaf.  In each of the
>four cases where the defective holem vav occured in *glory*
>, the shewa replaced the qamets, which was part of my
>confusion on issue.

No, this is not correct. Both words have qamats in the absolute state,
and sheva in the construct state or with a personal suffix. This is the
regular pattern of alternation for bisyllabic nouns with qamats in the
first syllable. In fact I don't think the construct of "liver" is found
in the Hebrew Bible, but the word is found with a personal suffix in
Proverbs 7:23, Lamentations 2:11. "Glory" occurs with qamats and
defective holam in Genesis 31:1 and Nahum 2:10. Data courtesy of BDB,
checked with BHS.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/