[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 8 18:06:58 EDT 2005

Peter:

I mentioned that I could see the connection between “weighty” and “honor”, but I had trouble seeing the connection with “liver”. Others have speculated that the liver was the most important (weighty) of the entrails studied in that ancient fortunetelling method, hence its name (a speculation that sounds plausable), but without more convincing evidence, I hesitate.

In trying to avoid the etymological fallacy, one can go too far the other way too. Particularly in ancient Hebrew, we deal with something within the language, not cross language barriers as your example below.

Karl W. Randolph.