[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jun 7 17:11:54 EDT 2005

On 07/06/2005 20:12, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Jack:
>
>As Yigal mentioned, the root meaning of the word is “weighty”.

I'm sorry, but this is the etymological fallacy. The words KABOD and
KABED may (or may not) be derived from some word in the remote past
which meant "weighty", but that does not imply that the meanings in
biblical Hebrew have any relationship to the this ancient meaning of
"weighty".

Karl, I can say that your argument is a nice one, but although the
etymology of "nice" is from Latin "nescius" meaning "ignorant", I am not
accusing you of being ignorant, because in modern English "nice" does
not mean "ignorant".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/