[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jun 7 15:12:57 EDT 2005

Jack:

As Yigal mentioned, the root meaning of the word is “weighty”.

How liver fits in there, I don’t see the connection, only speculation. We can’t rule out the possibility that it is a loan word that happened to have the same consonants as weigty.

Even in English we have the concept that weight is related to importance and honor, even glory, as in “Mr. XXX carries more weight in this organization that Mr. YYY.” Similarly, I see the meaning of KBWD being “glory” as a result of being “weighty”. Adjectively expressed either literally, or figuratively as in “weighted down” as in his hearing is weighted down (just as a fat person can’t run a race and win, so one whose hearing is weighted down is slow, not sharp) hence dull, hard of hearing.

Look at the actions.

Karl W. Randolph.