[b-hebrew] Liver & Glory

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Tue Jun 7 01:41:29 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have a question.  The word KBD (Kabed) is translated as
liver.  In the 14 times it is used in the OT, there was a
qamets under the kaf 12 times and a shewa two times (Pro
7:23 and Lam 2:1).  There is a tsere under the bet every
time.

The word KBVD (Kabod) is translated as *glory*, *honor*, or
*wealth*  (and few other ways).  It is usually spelled with
a shewa under kaf and holem vav.  However I have noticed
four instances where there is a word that looks very much
like KBD, including the qamats under the kaf but is
translated as if it were KBVD.  These are Gen 31:1, Gen
49:6, Ex 33:18, and Ex 33:22 (KBVD occurs 200 times in the
OT, I have not checked every entry yet).

In the case Gen 31:1 the context would strongly suggest
that the usual translation KBD as wealth seems appropriate.
The other three are usually translated as glory or honor
but the context seems less than clear to me, which is not
to say that liver somehow makes more sense.

So is KBD just a synonym for KBVD?  It is a scribal error?
Is it a euphemism for something?  Is there some pun or word
play between KBD and KBVD?  Something else?

Jack Tladatsi